Michigan’s working men and women need a president in the White House who will build on the progress under President Obama, and fight every single day to build an economy that works for everyone, not just the wealthy.
That’s why the AFL-CIO is supporting Hillary Clinton for president.
Unlike Donald Trump, Hillary has laid out real, concrete plans to grow our economy from the bottom up and the middle out – not the top down.
Here are the top five things Hillary Clinton will do as president to help Michigan’s working families get ahead:
1. Make the biggest investment in new, good-paying jobs since World War II: That means cutting through the dysfunction in Washington to create thousands of good-paying jobs by making bold investments in infrastructure, technology, clean energy, and education.
2. Make college debt-free for all Americans: Hillary understands that education is the best investment we can make in our economy. To fight the skyrocketing cost of tuition, Hillary will make sure every student can attend a public college without borrowing money. And Hillary will change the rules to allow graduates to refinance their current loans at a lower rate.
3. Make the wealthy and Wall Street banks pay their fair share in taxes: Wall Street billionaires and wealthy special interests have manipulated the rules in their favor at the expense of working people. As president, Hillary will adopt the “Buffett Rule” to ensure millionaires and billionaires don’t pay a lower tax rate than their secretaries. Making the rich pay their fair share in taxes will allow us to pay for bold investments in jobs without running up the debt.
4. Change the rules to stop rewarding corporations that ship American jobs overseas: Hillary will impose a tough new “exit tax” on big corporations that turn their backs on America and send jobs overseas. She’ll rewrite the rules so more companies share their profits with employees. And Hillary will crack down on unfair trade abuses, and oppose bad trade deals like the Trans-Pacific Partnership, which will make it easier for CEOs to ship more American jobs overseas.
5. Cut taxes for working families: Hillary understands that working people should be able to earn enough to sustain their families. To ease the burden on working men and women, she’ll cut taxes to make health care, child care, and prescription drugs more affordable.