What we're talking about

Breaking news, legislative updates and the facts.

How You Can Help Flint

Michigan’s working men and women have stepped up in a variety of ways to help the people of Flint – and there’s still more we can do to help people who have been hurt by the Flint Water Crisis. Here’s a quick rundown of what you can do:


If you are in the area and wish to volunteer, the United Way of Genesee County, the Michigan Community Service Commission and the American Red Cross of East Central Bay-Michigan have come together to operate the volunteer center.

They need volunteers to do data entry (inside work), as well as going out into the community (must be at least 18 years of age) to distribute water, filters, etc.

Volunteer Center reception hours:  For now it’s safe to tell people the Volunteer Center will be open 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

American Red Cross
1401 S. Grand Traverse St
Flint, MI  48503

Please note: Large groups wishing to volunteer should visit www.flintvolunteer.com . This site was set-up by the Red Cross and provides all the information someone may ever need. The needs for volunteers is ever changing, so ALL groups please go to this site and someone from the Red Cross will contact you. Individuals can also visit this site to learn more and to fill-out a registration form, however individuals are still welcome to just show up at the Red Cross.


Donating Water

In regards to dropping off donated water, donations can be delivered at the following locations:

WEEKDAYS – 8:00AM -5:00 PM

Pallets and cases over 100

Loose cases (non-pallet and less than 100)

  • Catholic Charities – 901 Chippewa Street, Flint, Michigan 48503
  • Please do not call the organization. They need to keep their lines open for clients.


  • ALL water donations go to the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan on weekends regardless of the size


Filters, faucets, multiple semis, etc.,  should be directed to FlintDonations@michigan.gov


Organizations Wanting to be a Distribution Site

Any church or 501c3 organization that would like to become a WATER distribution site should be directed to the Food Bank. They should call the Food Bank’s main line at: (810) 239-4441. This is for WATER only. The organization will need to staff and coordinate the distribution themselves. The state is currently not accepting anymore sites to distribute water, filters and test kits.

Where Can People get Water, Filters and Test Kits?

There are countless locations throughout the City providing just water, but something that is consistent and best to give callers is the 5 fire station locations. Residents can obtain water, filters, replacement cartridges and Lead Testing Kits at any of the 5 Fire stations.

The Fire Stations listed below are open 7 days a week from 9:00 a.m. -9:00 p.m.


  • Fire Station #1 310 East 5th St.
  • Fire Station #3 1525 Martin Luther King Ave
  • Fire Station #5 3402 Western Road
  • Fire Station #6 716 West Pierson Road
  • Fire Station #8 202 East Atherton Road
  • These stations are staffed by National Guard members
  • Residents are NOT required to provide ID or an address. They are only asking for addresses as this is the best way for them to track which homes have test kits and filters. This change was made to hopefully encourage the undocumented and others to visit the fire stations. Once completed, residents should return their testing kit to a fire station.
  • WATER PITCHERS: The fire stations are currently NOT distributing the water pitchers as they are low in stock. Pitchers are only being given to someone if the faucet mount PUR/Brita filters will not fit the faucet. Individuals need to call 211 to get on this list. Before they receive a pitcher the person delivering will verify a faucet mount filter will not work. This may change if more Zero Water filters become available.


For people who truly have no way of leaving their home, they should call 211 to get on the home delivery list.

Please note:  The sheriff’s department is about 3-4 days behind once a person calls 211. If they can’t wait the 3 days, please encourage them to have someone else go to the fire station. Also meals on wheels is providing water with every meal just in case the homebound individual is part of that program.

Donating Money

The United Way of Genesee County is accepting monetary donations for the purchase of filters, bottled water, emergency support services and prevention efforts. One hundred percent of these funds are used for these projects and no administrative fee is assessed.  Donations can be done either by:

Online at www.unitedwaygenesee.org, click the GIVE button.  This will then provide a choice to designate to the Water Fund.

Checks mailed to: United way of Genesee County
P.O. Box 949
Flint, MI  48501
Memo line: Water Fund
*Note please add attention Cindy Cromwell

Please note: any remaining funds will be directed to the Flint Child Health & Development Fund at www.flintkids.org. This fund will provide aid to children and families with interventions that support positive health outcomes, such as:

  • Optimal child health & development
  • Early childhood education
  • Continuous access to a pediatric medical home
  • Access to infant and child behavioral services
  • Nutrition education
  • Healthy food access
  • Safe & healthy home environments
  • Integrated social services
  • Research

Solidarity Note

  • Any union looking to consolidate efforts, please contact Cindy Cromwell (Office: (810)762-5827 or Email: ccromwell@unitedwaygenesee.org)
  • All UAW activity should be brought to the attention of Teresa McGinnis at uawlaborliaison@unitedwaygenesee.org


Get involved with the Michigan AFL-CIO

Our mission is to improve the lives of working families and bring economic justice to the workplace - and you can too.